GIS For City Gas Distribution
GIS plays an important role in determining the information collected through survey & mapping i.e. the area of the pipeline network, depth of pipe buried, pressure of the gas, diameter of the pipe, leaks, and maintenance. GIS-based survey & mapping of Steel & MDPE Pipeline helps in the analysis, planning of CGD network along with the total management of all network asset. It also helps in planning for support maintenance team, customer management etc. There are many other advantages to implement GIS technology in the utility sector of CGD due to which many companies are starting to utilize its full potential to meet their demands. Integration of GIS with other business applications helps in seamless interpolation with other systems to share data.
A Few Advantages of GIS System Implementation:
- GIS helps in asset management by locating pipeline assets such as main and service lines by tracking their coordinates and calculating their relative distances
- Leak management and analysis is swifter as GIS provides faster response time in case of a leak or an accident, by sharing the information of the incident to the response team
- GIS stores consumer data and various thematic maps can be prepared to identify future potential consumers and plan the pipeline network accordingly
- Study of demand and supply of consumers through survey and mapping can help in the expansion planning of the pipeline network and prediction of the future growth can be accessed
- To produce calculations such as pressure, inlet quantity of the gas etc., as well as to generate maps and BoM showing various design parameters at all nodes and lines
- Network size critically designed to ensure supply pressure at consumer & intermediate points without over/ under sizing any element
- Flexibility to change the design to suit the site conditions
- Ability to manually adjust the automatically calculated locations
- For operations and maintenance, it is important to identify weak sections of the pipeline and to replace the segment to prevent a leak or an accident. Pipes made of steel or iron are subject to rust due to environmental factors which needs to undergo cathodic protection.
- Optimal DPRS location, service area & routing for substantial cost saving
- Plan route to ensure maximum reach with minimum length
- Reduce the network design time
CyberSWIFT has worked with various Public Sector Undertakings such as Tata Steel Limited, IOCL etc. for surveying the pipeline network. CyberSWIFT is associated as a vendor for Gujarat Gas Limited (GGL) in implementing GIS survey, mapping of MDPE pipeline in towns of Surendranagar & Amreli town.