The TATA Group is one of the most prestigious Indian conglomerate operating in more than 80 countries across six continents. Tata Steel is one of their flagship companies. CyberSWIFT had the opportunity to develop a land management software for TATA Steel, the twelfth largest steel producing company in the world. The company has manufacturing operations in 26 countries, with the largest plant located at Jamshedpur, Jharkhand.
The objective of the software was to build a land bank for the land owned by the company across the country. It is being used as an effective tool for places where company is acquiring land. For the existing land it works as a planning, decision support and archival system. The system is also used effectively for change detection in Land Use / Land Cover over the years.
Tata Steel Had The Following Objectives From The Project
- Inventory of Land they owned with information attached to a visual output. A GIS Based Land Bank
- Keep History Details of Land they have acquired which would contain
- Land Use - Present and Past
- Land Use Inventory – On basis of Individual Plots
- Change in pattern of Land over period of Time
- Help with management of Land they are acquiring
- An WebGIS Based Application that can be used by a large organization as theirs over different Geographical Locations.
Details Of The Project
Development Of Spatial Data
- Spatial data is developed from Cadastral maps and Satellite images
- Both being from different source matching them was challenge
- Good number of GCP points was taken for the same
Process For Extraction Of Data From Cadastral Sheets
Hardcopy cadastral sheets are converted into Georeferenced digital format and vector layers of relevant features is extracted. The steps involved are discussed below:
- Scanning and Mosaicking - of hardcopy cadastral sheet is carried out. These sheets are scanned and saved in Tiff format. After this, all the individual sheets are stitched together to get the actual map of the entire region
- GCP Collection and Georeferencing – GCP is collected by visiting the physical area. These collected data is imported into the image processing software. The mosaicked cadastral sheet is georeferenced using the collected GCP
- Digitization of the Cadastral Sheet – Administrative boundaries like village boundary, plot boundary, block boundary is identified from mosaicked and georeferenced cadastral sheets. These sheets are then digitized to receive a detailed digital map of the area with plot level details
The prime objective of using satellite images was to generate present land use of the area. Superimposing the same with Cadastral sheets would mean getting plot wise inventory of land use. This would help the organization in determining prices during acquisition also helps in providing various estimations for further development activity when the project would start.
Change Detection For Changes In Land Use Patterns Over Time
The next step taken is Change detection. This is a process wherein the spatial difference is mapped taking the advantage of the temporal resolution. Imagery of two different dates are provided as inputs from where the change in the topography can be detected.
Land Acquisition Management System – A WebGIS Based Land Management System
LAMS is a web GIS based solution from CyberSWIFT. This was the central web based software which was used for hosting all land information. This software highlights the plots that are targeted for acquisition, and the process required for executing these land management operations on the same database. It enables customized query execution like asking about the plots or asking about the agreement that has been drawn between the company and the landowner. This developed software can be installed on any server or machine that is being designated by the client himself. The user access right is given to the client so that he can work on it from any location by using the Internet. This software has unique features like:
- This software comprises various layers of a particular area
- These various layers and plots of land has attribute data attached to it. The data includes photographs of claimants of the plots, scanned copies of the important documents, land owner's details, and more
- The database is viewed by the users of the system on mouse over and click events
Customization Of The Software And Site Configuration
LAMS is tailored according to the requirements TATA Steel. LAMS is launched into TATA Steel's host server and the client's system.
Maintenance And Data Input
The entire solution had an effective Data Input module. This would help the system to be updated on a year to year basis to retain its effectiveness. CyberSWIFT helps in annual maintenance and change requests from the client to accommodate new requirements.